Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Oxford Farmer's Market

On my way to class today I passed by Gloucester Green, a little tree-lined square on the western edge of central Oxford, and the weekly farmer's market was underway. Since I finally got a bike and can get places more quickly, I had time to stop. I got some strawberries and some really creamy goat cheese. Next week I'm going to go prepared with cash, because it looks like the place to go for produce that's cheaper and higher quality than the stuff at the stores. It's taken me a little while to get used to how small all the fruit and vegetables and the grocery stores here tends to be. I guess it's because Europeans aren't as cavalier as Americans are about genetically modified foods and pesticides and fertilizers and all that. I'd like to say that their produce tastes a lot better as a result of their prudence, but I think, generally, the grocery store-bought stuff here is about on par with what I'm used to back home. The food at the market however looked great and I guess there is something to be said for getting to feel all quaint and old-worldy when you buy your strawberries.

Here are some pictures. Be sure to look at the crazy purple cauliflower.


Speaking of fresh food. it's not just at the farmers market. There's a huge apple tree and tons of blackberry bushes growing wild on our street. A few days ago we picked a bunch of them thinking it would be a frugal way to get our fruit.

I used a bunch of the apples and berries to make a really great crisp. My roommates have all made me self conscious about taking pictures of my food so I don't have any thing to show you, but if you want to make one (and you should) here's a link. If you do make it, I'd recommend doubling the topping and going easy on the zest, unless you want it really lemony.

I need to go now. I want to get alot of reading done tonight so I can do some biking or maybe go to London this weekend.

1 comment:

Hana said...

I've seen purple cauliflower here too, but never that vibrant. Here it seems to be more of a dark purple... maybe because it's older or spent more time on the store shelf? Anyway, I'm glad you are enjoying yourself there. And for the record I like seeing your pictures of food. But I'm a baking/cooking type person so that stuff appeals to me. Keep up the good work on the blog... and Dad is all excited that you are getting so much use out of the camera! :D